Everybody does it. It’s not something to be ashamed of. It happens to the best of us! We may not like to admit it in ministry but we all experience burnout at some point or another. Its a sign that we are human!
Below are some tips to push through the burnout:
- STOP! Take a break. Get away for a day or 7. Go fishing or whatever helps you relax.
- Talk with other people in your position. Be honest and let them know what you’re going through. Many times you might be surprised at the wisdom they would have for you!
- Go back to the basics. Change your focus back to the gospel and sharing with new people. Take a break from whatever is currently on the top of your list.
- Say NO! Its ok not to be all things to all people all the time. Politely say no. If you feel horrible about saying no, find someone else who might be able to fill your void.
- Delegate. 80% of church work is done by 20% of the people, many of which are ministry leaders. Find volunteers and delegate the work to them. It won’t just give you a break but will also cause the volunteer to take ownership and help their spiritual growth.
- Make a list of the things that you do not like doing / are not gifted in doing. Give those responsibilities to others.
- Socialize OUTSIDE of the church. Get into conversations with people that are not in your day to day circles. Even people you wouldn’t normally talk to. You might be surprised at the creativity they can bring to you!
- Stop working during family time. Enjoy your family and give them your undivided attention.